The Sacramento Sports Commission, a division of Visit Sacramento, is responsible for fostering economic development of the region by securing, promoting and sustaining highly visible sporting events, tournaments and conventions. The joining of the Sports Commission with Visit Sacramento strengthens the number of services and resources that will be devoted to incoming sports associations and sporting competitions.
The Commission was created in the 1980s as a joint city-county advisory board to attract and develop major professional and amateur sporting events in the capital region. On Jan. 1, 2013, at the request of the Sacramento City Council and County Board of Supervisors, Visit Sacramento took over the responsibilities of the Sacramento Sports Commission, which is now responsible for fostering economic development of the region by securing, promoting and sustaining highly visible sporting events, tournaments and conventions.
Since its inception in 1988, the Sports Commission has been responsible for bringing a number of high-profile events to Sacramento including:
- 1994, 1998, 2002, 2005, 2007 and 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament
- 1995 and 2014 U.S. Outdoor Track and Field Championships
- 1999 John Hancock U.S. Gymnastics Championships
- 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Champs
- 2000 and 2004 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for Track and Field
- 2001 and 2016 National Junior Olympic Track and Field Championships
- 2007 NCAA Women's Volleyball Championship
- 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Amgen Tour of California
- 2015 Bassmaster Elite Series
We're confident that you'll be pleased with our ability to help make your sporting event or meeting a successful one and look forward to the opportunity to learn how we can partner together. For more information or to submit an RFP, please contact Director Mike Sophia, at 916.808.7777 or by email at MSophia@visitsacramento.com